Even in the midst of life hurdles and challenges, everyone has that innate desire to complete some adventurous tasks before ‘Kicking the bucket’. The list containing these tasks is called a Bucket List. This article seeks to guide you on five great exploits you can spice up your bucket list with.
The act of parachuting from an airplane for adventure and fun is simply called skydiving. History recorded Andre-Jacques Garnerin as the first human who attempted a parachute jump in 1797 and since then it has evolved as both a competitive sport and recreational activity. Some of the best places to have a thrilling skydiving experience include the following:
- Santa Barbara, California: The location with the highest unit skydive in North America at 18.000ft, this spot offers scenic views of the magnificent Californian coastline
- Denarau Island, Fiji: A literal paradise with sweltering waters that is so transparent that you can closely see the corals and fishes. Enjoy limitless fun from a 14,000ft height.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Have a lifetime opportunity to explore a firsthand view of floating man – made palms from an outrageous height. One of the best skydiving destinations in the world, Dubai is simply a place to visit before leaving earth.
- Fox Glacier, New Zealand: Filled with breathtaking sceneries of snow-capped mountains, glaciers and beautiful lakes, the fox glacier New Zealand, is a wonder to behold when skydiving. You can also consider paragliding in Queenstown to make your New Zealand a stay perfect one
2. Fishing In Thailand
The act of trapping, netting and possibly spearing are all rare techniques needed when fishing. Asides the norm of fishing for commercial purposes, it can be a whole lot of fun and recreation especially when you plan a fishing holiday in Thailand, a habitat to the biggest fish species in the entire world. Known for its hedge forests and crystal clear aquamarine waters, Thailand is a one stop world destination for memorable fishing expeditions. Blow your imagination by catching the biggest fishes in the world, some weighing more than two humans put together. Below is Thailand’s best freshwater fishing spot:
River Monsters Thailand:
Naturally endowed with a lake measuring about 4.5 hectares and 4 metres deep, this fishing park is a home to the biggest fishes you can never see in any part of the world. If you ever dreamt of being an angler, this is the perfect spot to fulfill that imagination. Get into some adventure by catching the Chao Praya Catfish, weighing almost 400lb (the most combative catfish species), the Redtail Catfish that weighs over 80kg or the 3 meter long Arapaima weighing above 150kg, recorded as one of the biggest freshwater species you will ever behold. The park also offers great accommodation and other luxury services, making your stay a non regrettable one.
3. Hike the Appalachian Trail
Walking short distances is usually fun but embarking on a long, energetic walk on countryside trails or footpaths is a blend of fun and adventure. Your bucket list is absolutely incomplete without a hike experience and the Appalachian Trail is that perfect hiking spot for you. Spanning over 2,190 miles across 14 various states in Eastern United States, the Appalachian Trail is arguably the best long distance hiking route in the whole world. Below are some of the fun things you can do at the trail:
- Try hiking every fingerbreadth of the trail from end to end
- Trail magic could be fun, try some for thru hikers
- The trail is a home to a number of ponds, rivers and lakes. Do some swimming
- Take a break at the fire fighter’s club in Port Clinton
- Carry out some blue-blazing on each waterfall that falls within a mile in the trail
- A ride on a ski lift wouldn’t be a weird idea
- The Mt Washington cog train ride is worth a perfect memory
- Some wild cherries fall within the trail, you can pick and eat them
- Take a stop at great historical sites like Washington Monument and Gathland
4. Go Zorbing
Yet another exciting recreational activity to experience, Zorbing involves rolling inside an orb mostly designed with a transparent plastic. This sport can be dated back to the 1990s in New Zealand. Performed mostly on gentle slopes or some level surface to allow good riding control, Zorbing brings hard fun as it can also be performed on water. Usually meant for not more than 3 persons, the idea of riding in a Zorb gives you that imaginary feel of being an astronaut in space. Some of the places you can Zorb include
- Slovenia (Runtole, Cetje)
- New Zealand (Rotorua, Bay of Plenty)
- India (Burwa, Himachal Pradesh)
- Philippines (Boracay Island, Aklan)
- Japan (Miyoshi-shi Tokushima Prefecture)
- Guam (Zorb Yona)
5. Hot Air Ballon
Renowned as the first worthwhile human carriage flight technology, the first hot air balloon was first flown in Paris, France in 1783 and it has evolved ever since then. The thought of scaling high and having a full aeriform view from a lofty balloon should certainly occupy a good spot on your list. Bring those imaginations to reality and visit some of these places below:
- Jaipur, India: Rise in the air above the Hawa Mahal (Palace of the Winds), City Palace and Amber Forts and finally span over lonesome temples and rural villages. Embarking on a hot air balloon tour in Jaipur leaves you with no regrets.
- Canterbury Plains, New Zealand: Fly into the high skies overseeing the river rich greeneries and herb fields sprawling from the Southern Alps. Taking this tour will certainly leave you fulfilled in the world adventure capital- New Zealand.
- Namib Desert, Namibia: Air cruise through the soul of the Namib Desert and have a firsthand familiarity of what a desert looks like from the skies. One wonder to behold is the pink and orange sand dunes of Sossusvlei and the massive Naukluft Mountain formation.