Items you need to have ready when applying for casual work on your Australian trip

What’s the next best thing when you cannot afford to travel the world and explore various cultures? Working your way around the world. Or your own country for that matter. Sort of an earn as you travel arrangement allowing people looking for a bit of adventure to immerse themselves in the civilization of another country. Australia is one of the places that attracts many young people willing to discover the wonders of a country they find so mysterious since it’s far away from their native country in Europe or the Americas. 

Here are a few things you need to know before embarking on your Australian adventure.

Check out Working Holiday Visas requirements

People wanting to explore Australia while working to support themselves are most welcome, but they need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This can be done electronically but it tends to be a lengthy process so you’d better apply some three months before your scheduled departure. First of all, you need to create an account with the Australian Department of Affairs and fill in the online application. 

If you’re holding a romantic notion that you’ll be able to support yourself doing odd jobs here and there without bothering with legal papers be aware of the fact that companies hiring illegal workers face hefty fines of up to $315,000 so you won’t find many businesses willing to take that risk.

Under Australian law, employers looking to hire foreigners need to perform a vevo check, also known as a right to work in Australia check. If you want to know how this works, the Australian National Character Check can guide you through the process of verifying your right to work status online avoiding red tape and long waiting times. Keep this piece of information stored on your laptop or mobile phone to convince a prospective employer how easy it is to offer you a job while staying within the law.

Background checks for Australian citizens

On the other hand, if you’re an Australian national eager to travel the country and surviving on temporary work, you need to know that you might be asked to provide a police check in order to be offered a position. For example if you are looking to work in a bar or cafe, or you simply want to earn some side money by working for a taxi service in Canberra (Canberra is Australia’s capital city), the check can be easily done through an online accredited agency which can provide a 100% valid police check within 2-3 business days.

Settling in for your Australian adventure

As a foreigner arriving in Australia on a Working Holiday trip, you will be asked to provide proof you have the means to support yourself until you do get a job. Immigration officials at the airport will want to see a bank statement proving you have access to a minimum of $5,000 AUD, that’s between $3,000-$4,000 depending on the exchange rate at the time of your arrival. Alternatively, you could present a credit card with a limit of the same amount or more.

Once you’re in the Australian city of your choice, you need to find accommodations, short-term renting being the preferred choice for many. Next you need to get a bank account, a local phone number and apply for a tax number which will allow you to work.

The best thing is that if you enjoy yourself, you can apply to have your visa extended for another year. 

Olivia Watson

Olivia is a world traveler who has been to 27 countries in just over 15 years. She loves to share her knowledge of traveling to help others travel safer, cheaper and have more fun.
Back to top button