Key West is one of the hottest vacation spots in the world, and it’s no wonder why. Beautiful beaches, wildlife and lush plants everywhere, amazing food, and that’s just the beginning.
Due to the crystal-clear blue, warm waters that surround it, Key West also offers some of the best jet skiing around.
We’ve gone ahead and done the “hard part” for you, to bring you the best Key West jet ski tours available. We know you’re eager to get started, so let’s jump right in!
Best Jet Ski Tours In Key West
The 5 Best Key West Jet Ski Tours For 2023
- Key West Full-Day Power Adventure: Sailing & Watersports Package
- Ultimate Jet Ski Tour of Key West
- Key West Jet Ski Tour: Free 2nd Rider
- The Original Key West Island Jet Ski Tour from the Reach Resort
- Key West Island 90-minute Jet Ski Tour from the Marriott Beachside
Key West Jet Ski Tour Reviews
- Duration: 6 hours
- Departure: 205 Elizabeth St., Key West, FL 33040, USA
- Departure Time: 10 am
- Includes: Professional guide, use of snorkeling gear, kayak, SUP, WaveRunners, water toys, breakfast, lunch, beverages, all taxes and fees
It’s hard to get better than the Key West Full-Day Power Adventure: Sailing & Watersports Package. Lasting around 6 hours, this is a great way to spend the afternoon without taking up the entire day. You’ll get everything you could want out of a jet skiing tour, with so many extras added on.
You’ll meet up with the rest of your group at 10:00 am, at Key West’s Historic Seaport. Hop aboard the gorgeous catamaran, which is very well-built and has more than enough room for everyone. While it’s not a bad idea to bring a light jacket or windbreaker, these tours function with calm waters and warm temperatures.
- Definitely bring some sunglasses, a hat/head covering, swimwear, towel, and of course, sunscreen.
This tour is great for families of all ages, as you can either choose to hang out and sun on deck, in the shade, or partake in all kinds of water sports. If you’ve never been jet skiing before but would love to try, this is the perfect opportunity.
Your experienced guide will be there to offer instruction on not only jet skiing, but snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding, and even parasailing!
Parasailing is adrenaline-heavy and perfect for those who love a good rush. Snorkeling is a great way to check out the sea creatures who inhabit these tropical waters, and kayaking or paddle boarding are a more relaxed approach if you’re a bit nervous about or just don’t want to try jet skiing.
There’s a spotter/lifeguard the entire time out on the water, and as they stop right by the reef, there’s plenty to see.
With all of the adventuring around under the warm sun, you’re sure to get hungry! Breakfast and lunch are both included onboard, which include fresh local selections like steamed shrimp, sandwiches, pasta, and more. To drink, there’s juice, soda, draft beer, wine, and more.
- Duration: 2 hours
- Departure: 601 Front St, Key West, FL 33040, USA
- Departure Time: Varies
- Includes: 90-minute Jet Ski Tour, all necessary safety equipment, sales tax
Next up, we bring you the Ultimate Jet Ski Tour of Key West. If you’re looking to experience jet skiing on these beautiful blue waters, but don’t want to commit to a longer tour, this is a great option. As it lasts just 2 hours, you’ll get to have a ton of fun zooming around in the sun while still having plenty of time to fit into the rest of your day and evening.
- If you’ve never tried jet skiing before, this is a little taste that could push you into trying a longer tour, too.
What’s nice about this tour also, is that there are various departure times so you can really work around any schedule.
As all necessary gear comes included, you’ll just need to bring your normal swimwear and sunscreen. Water shoes aren’t a bad idea, either! Each jet ski can hold up to 3 people, so long that you don’t go over 460 pounds.
Before you hop on your jet ski, your professional guide will help show you how to use the machine and ride with confidence. Your instructor will be there the entire time to make sure you and others in your group are safe.
You’ll be in control of the experience and what you see. You can check out all kinds of intricate inlets, mangroves, beaches. Sea creatures such as dolphins, stingrays, sea turtles, manatees, and other visitors may make an appearance, too! The instructor will show you the best route for you, depending on what your interests are.
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Departure: 2801 N Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040, USA OR complimentary shuttle pickup
- Departure Time: Varies
- Includes: Fuel surcharge, professional guide, driver/guide, use of equipment
The Key West Jet Ski Tour: Free 2nd Rider is another brief-yet-fun tour that you can easily fit into any part of your day. Not only that – it’s a great deal as you get to ride tandem with a friend at no extra cost! Both of you will be able to learn from a professional guide who will instruct you on how to best use the machine to have a blast!
- You’ll get 4 different departure times to select from, which makes it easy to plan out your day.
You can either choose to meet at the designated meet-up point or take advantage of their complimentary shuttle pickup so you can just be ready in the lobby when it’s time to go.
If you’re not a big fan of crowds, then you’ll also love this tour as it’ll just be you, the rest of your group, and jet skis.
We appreciated the fact that the instructors planned the groups based on experience level and riding preference.
If you’re someone who loves going full-speed, you’ll be paired with others of similar interest. If you’re just starting out, you’ll go with other beginners, too.
Traveling along 38 miles of the Floridian coast, you’ll be sure to see all kinds of gorgeous sites in this 1.5-hour tour.
This tour stops at the southern-most point, submarine pits, Key West harbor, and a local sandbar. We really enjoyed the sandbar, as it offers a bit of variation with the chance to take a dip in the clear waters.
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Departure: 700 Waddell Ave, Key West, FL 33040, USA
- Departure Time: Varies
- Includes: Life jackets, towels, professional guide, use of equipment
The Original Key West Island Jet Ski Tour from the Reach Resort is yet another shorter tour that’s a great way to pack a lot of fun into your day. Not only that, but it’s a wonderful way of seeing all around the island so you can choose what you’d like to explore further when you’re on land.
Not only that, but if you’re someone who loves learning the history of the area you’re in, you’ll get a little history lesson too!
This small group tour has a maximum 12 people at any given point in time, which makes it much more convenient when riding around.
- You’ll get more one-on-one time with your guide so you can learn as much as possible.
There are various departure times available, so it’s easy to fit this 1.5-hour tour in on just about any day. You’ll start out at the southern end of Key West, which is much less crowded. This offers a bit more confidence if you’re just starting out, not having to worry about having a crowd watch you as you get used to the watercraft.
The new Yamaha personal watercraft (PWC) the tour uses is high-quality and very well-maintained which makes it easier to ride. It’s very comfortable, and smooth running.
This tour utilizes a 26-mile route that goes around the island, which simply isn’t feasible for larger or slower watercraft. If you want to see as much as possible, this is a fun way of doing so.
You’ll get to see Key West backcountry, the iconic Mallory Square and all of its entertainers, as well as marine life! The latter includes sea turtles, dolphins, tropical fish, manatees, and more.
As you ride, your instructor will make routine stops to share the history and anecdotes about the area as you pass certain spots. On the way, you’ll also be able to take a break to relax or take a dip at a deserted sandbar, too!
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Departure: 3841 N Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040, USA
- Departure Time: Varies
- Includes: Life jackets, use of equipment, professional guide
This Key West Island 90-minute Jet Ski Tour from the Marriott Beachside is very similar to number 4, with some distinct differences. First off, you’ll be starting off at the Marriot Beachside, which is a place worth going in the first place.
- With all guides being licensed and local, you can count on them knowing what they’re talking about and making sure you have the best time possible.
We found the guides to be a blast, and really encourage people to just have fun while obviously taking certain precautions into account. The tour also uses new Yamaha jet skis, which are well-maintained, while looking and feeling great. However, most people do appreciate the regular stops on the 26-mile route to give everyone a bit of a stretch and some relaxation time.
You can choose to either ride by yourself or ride tandem with another person, which can also be preferable for people who rather not ride alone or drive.
Said route covers most of the top attractions that you can see from the water: from Mallory Square full of restaurants and entertainment, to the backcountry.
As you ride, you’ll also learn some interesting historical facts about the places you see. We definitely recommend taking along a waterproof camera, but only take photos while you’re stopped.
The smaller groups made it much easier to see large parts of the island. If you go on the late tour, it’s the perfect precursor to a delicious dinner or some drinks. At this time, you’ll get to ride as the sun is setting which really sets the tone for a great night! The instructors do try to get you some free time in too, after you’ve finished the established route.
Key West Jet Ski Guide
What Will I See on a Key West Jet Ski Tour?
The one thing we can promise is that you will have a unique perspective of Key West as you zip along the coastline. You will usually start from the historic Key West harbor where you will see the famous Southernmost Point buoy.
As you head around the island, keep your eyes open for sea-life. You may spot dolphins, sea turtles even flying fish! If you are really lucky you may spot a manatee or two gliding in the shallow waters. You need to always be on the look out for them, you don’t want to hit one!
One of the more popular jet ski routes will take you into the nearby mangroves. These small uninhabited islands are fun to explore. There are almost always birds on them and this is where the manatees like to hang out.
If you rent a jet ski on your own you can dock your jet ski and explore the islands on foot or just take a break and relax on the beach. Unfortunately, most jet ski tours will not stop at them.
Another route takes you to the more rural areas. Here you can explore the channels and shallow waters that surround the island. This is the route that most jet ski tours will take.
No matter which route you go on you will be surrounded by the beauty of the Keys!
Key West Jet Ski FAQs
- Do I need a license to operate a jet ski? In some states a boating certification is required to operate a jet ski. Your jet ski rental company will provide you with specific requirements.
- Is there and age requirement to operate a jet ski? The minimum age requirement varies in each state. Sometime local regulations supersede the state regulations. In general the minimum age is 16. Your jet ski rental company will have the up to date age requirements.
- Do I need to wear a life jacket while jet skiing? This is a definite yes. Even if it wasn’t you should wear a properly fitted and Coast Guard approved life jacket while jet skiing.
- Can I ride a jet ski alone? Yes, jet skis are designed to be ridden solo. Many can accomodate 1-2 passengers. So you will need to check with the jet ski rental company what type of jet skis they use and how many people can fit on them.
- How fast can a jet ski go? Jet skis can reach speeds of up to 70mph but most tour companies put on a regulator to prevent you from going these speeds. Yo wouldn’t want to go those speeds anyway!
- What should I wear while jet skiing? You should wear comfortable clothing that won’t restrict your movement like “dry” shirts. A swimsuit will work as well. Wearing a wetsuit or rash guard is a good idea for warmth. Don’t forget to bring sunglasses and a high SPF sunscreen to protect your skin. Make sure you have a lanyard on your sunglasses or there a good chance you will lost them!
- Can I bring a passenger on the jet ski? Yes, almost all jet skis are can accommodate at least one passenger. There may be weight or age restrictions for passengers, so check with the jet ski rental company you plan on using before booking.